It’s Sunday and there is no rest for Sally and I. We have two apiaries to visit to remove supers and another apiary to move some nucs. We set off early, but only got as far as the end of the road, a flat tyre. I tried to remove the wheel nuts but they were not going to budge. So, a call to the RAC and 1 hour later we were on our way.
Last season we used a blower to clear supers, and it saved us so much time. With clearer boards, it meant two visits, one to put the board on and then a further visit to remove the supers and board. Fuel is one of our biggest costs and so keeping the visits to just one is going to save us not only time but fuel as well. Some may think the blower is a bit harsh, but we have not found it so. Supers cleared of bees and off to another site before going back to the bee unit for extraction.
Monday morning, and after a quick trip to the bee unit to pick up some equipment, it was off to make up the last of the years nucs. These will be overwintered along with all the others.
Sally has spent three evenings this week after work at the bee unit to cut the comb for the hotel and also some from our hives as well. She makes a far better job of it than I do.
I have orders for a number of hive stands, and so the workshop was a hive of activity as I cut the timber ready for assembly next week. It looks like it’s going to be another busy week next week, as apart from the usual apiary visits, there is more honey to extract, bottling for another big order as well as get ready for the honey bee festival at Painshill park. http://www.painshill.co.uk/honey-bee-festival/