Had our first look at the bees at the hotel. I wasn’t impressed with what we saw but i think we can rescue something out of the mess they were in. Eleven colonies checked and now six of our new colonies are going on site. Last week we made shook swarms with the multi boxes and this week we have made some more. It is these that will grace this new apiary and in the next few weeks we will be looking at all the nucs and deciding where they will all end up.
I find great pleasure in frame cleaning. The dirty frames brought back to looking like new and saving us money. (very Important).
The cleaned frames will be re-waxed in the next few weeks as they will be needed soon. Some of the wires had broken, so they will need to be re-wired before waxing. We wire all our brood frames now as we have found we get straighter drawn comb and the cost is lower. When you only have a few colonies it probably doesn’t seem much, but when you have the amount we have then over the years the cost in savings can be considerable. I’ll post some pictures of the process in the next few weeks when I do them.